Could this be the best hiking camera bag?
I ask myself, could this be the best hiking camera bag in the market? At first, I was skeptical that a camera bag manufacturer can provide a true active bag that can support the rigors of a run on the beach or a bike ride to work. After further inspection of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW, I think this might a winner.
FRONT of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Looks like a normal hiking backpack with reflector like square patterns.
- The compression straps on each side are very easy to use. (I use this feature frequently whenever I remove my jacket from the main bag compartment.)
- There is a thin open pouch where I store thin items that I need quick access too and not afraid of it getting wet. (I use this area to place random documents that I pick up along the way from my location scouting sessions or run at the beach.
- You will also notice a gear loop that I use to hold my 2-way radio. (Of course it depends on the size and shape of your 2-way radio but it works perfectly with the Motorola FRS/GMRS 20 Mile talkabout radio.
TOP of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Zippered pouch that takes up almost the entire top lid (This should hold items you want to access without opening the bag) (I utilize this section for keys tissues, hand wipes, compact flash card readers and an external battery pack for my mobile devices.)
INSIDE MAIN CHAMBER of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Zippered pouch to hold more important items you want protected from the elements. (You can store your wallet, special tools, more compact flash cards and batteries)
- Large main chamber (hold a jacket, there is a section that holds my 15 inch laptop perfectly and an iPad along with headphones and an eyeglass case.
BOTTOM of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Two gear loops and straps to hold almost anything. (Holds my Joby Gorillapod Focus most of the time)
- The all weather pouch is hidden and can be easily accessed.
LEFT SIDE FROM FRONT of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- A zippered chamber for your camera and a space for an accessory. (My Nikon DSLR with an attached 17-50 lens and sometimes one Nikon SB-900) Most of the time I don’t bring a flash and just keep that space free for either my camera slingers or my black rapid R-Straps.
- Waist belt with pocket (I store my DSLR batteries)
RIGHT SIDE FROM FRONT of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Gear loop
- Pouch with compression strap (This holds my bottle of water. I also plan to use this pouch for a camera flash)
- Waist belt with pocket (I store my compact flash cards and sometimes keys)
BACK of the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW
- Contoured padding (This helps airflow to your back so sweat isn’t trapped. (You will notice the difference when running)
- Hydration chamber (Since It didn’t come with a water reservoir, I sometimes use this area for documents that I need secured.)
AFTER FIRST USE:
I have to say, that the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AWis my new workday backpack. As some of my followers know I commute to work via my foldable Dahon Bike.
So before the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW, I used a Kenneth Cole New York Laptop bag. The Laptop bag served its purpose but it was difficult to wear when navigating through parked cars and moving vehicles.
With the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW, I can now securely commute on my bike to work without worrying about my bag shifting the weight at the wrong moment. You bicyclists know that this is very important when maneuvering through the urban landscape. The Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW embraces my upper torso on every turn and when I see that once in a lifetime shot during my commute, I simply reach for my camera and bang, image captured. I also use this bag when I am out location scouting either on foot or on my Dahon foldable bicycle. The Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW is truly an amazing backpack for the active photographer. The Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW is starting to look like the best hiking camera bag in the market.
A FEW OF THE FEATURES I FOUND MOST USEFUL FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS INCLUDE: (view a full listing at the manufacturer website)
- · The bag is designed to isolate the camera from the rest of the bag. (This allows for fast draw of the camera without having worrying about moving other photography items aside to reach for your camera. Great feature to consider the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW to be the best hiking camera bag.
- · The compression straps allows the LowePro Photo Sport 200 AW conform to the photography gear you decide to carry with you during a weekend run or an intense location scouting session on your foldable Dahon Bike. (I’ll be posting that article soon)
- · Back padding that conforms to your spine and helps keeping the LowePro Photo Sport 200 AW in place. This feature also helps with air circulation and reduces sweat build up.
- · The gear loops and straps at the bottom of the LowePro Photo Sport 200 AW is one of my favorite features as it allows me to attach a tripod or a light stand or basically anything that is at least 7 inches long.
- · The waist belt with pockets is also one of my favorites as it allows me to store my Nikon DSLR battery on the left waist pocket and my compact flash cards and lens cloth and cleaning fluid.
- · The hydration chamber is a much-needed feature in a camera bag for active photographers. (I just wished they included a water reservoir.) If the water reservoir was included it would make it the best hiking camera bag for me.
I’ve detailed the specs from the Lowepro website below:
|Capacity:Up to a pro-sized DSLR with a kit lens attached, flash, hydration reservoir (not included); toploading compartment with up to 13.9 liters of volume fits personal items such as a hat, light jacket, snack, cell phone, keys, etc.|
7.7W X 3.5D X 9.1H in./
19.5 X 9 X 23 cm
10.6W X 6.7D X 19.3H in./
27 X 17 X 49 cm
|Top Compartment Inner Dimensions:
9.4W X 7.5D X 20.9H in./
24 X 19 X 53 cm
N70D Triple RS with UTS Coating PU 800mm WR, P150D 2 Way Span, N140D 2 Way Span 235g/yd, P600D 74T PU 800mm WR – Kolon
N210D 110T PU 800mm WR, Velcro Hook/loop
if you are an active photographer looking for a backpack that can keep up with your rigorous activities, then the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW is the backpack for you. Do you think its safe to say the Photo Sport 200 AW is the best hiking camera bag? It seems like the case to date.
So make sure you check the Lowepro Photo Sport 200AW out at an authorized local retailer or online at Amazon.
If you enjoyed this post, then please “like”and/or “plus” this post and subscribe to the PhotographySILO.com In Crowd Newsletter to keep informed of the latest posts, free lightroom preset giveaways, exclusive email list only promotions and more!
Also, look out for video versions of some of my posts on youtube and subscribe to my channel http://www.youtube.com/photographysilo to ensure you are updated every time I release a new awesome photographySILO.com video.
Thanks for the support!